The colliery that was sunk in Newcraighall in 1897 promised work and wages for 100 years: the coal mine became known as “The Klondyke,” It closed, in 1968, because of geological problems. Newcraighall is a southeastern suburb of Edinburgh.
Installed in 1989, this monolithic stone sculpture is carved in relief, on round plinth with setts, celebrates this mining heritage. Side one carved with: Mine buildings / Round Hole / Face / Ladder / Leaf / Hands / Coals / Fossil / Miner with lamp and pick. Side two carved with: Woman pulling hopper / Shovel / Hand / Flask . Side three carved with: Two fish / Profile head with lamp / Pick / Horse. Side four carved with: Doves / Greyhound’s head / Square hole / Saw/ Large hand and forearm.
The inscription reads:
From the Barren Coal Dust of Centuries
of Poverty, Suffering and Sorrow
SPIRIT OF COMMUNITY
that sustained our Miners and their Families
in the struggle to Preserve their Mining Heritage
This monument and reborn Village shall forever bear witness to this Spirit
Unveiled by Councillor David H. Brown. J.P.
On the first day of May. A.D. 1989
Commissioned by the City of Edinburgh District Council
with assistance from the Scottish Arts Council / Sculptor: Jake Harvey R.S.A.