The sister cities of Amherstburg, Canada (pictured on the left) and Monroe, Michigan (on the right) dedicated memorials to the end of the War of 1812, Amhertsburg in 2012 and Monroe in 2017. The sculpture atop both monuments are by Joseph de Angelis and includes three intertwining muskets that sprout five roses at the top. A Native American feather is featured on one of the muskets, which is a nod to the natives’ contributions. Darlene Belair designed the base of the Monroe monument. The details include cannons at each of the four corners, pointing downward as they would no longer be used in peacetime.

This is the text on the base of the Canadian monument, which is located in the Amherstburg Navy Yard National Historic Site, a former British navy yard evacuated by the Royal Navy in 1813 :

Share This