This bronze statue of Edward Everett Hale (1822 – 1909) was unveiled in 1913. The Bela Lyon Pratt work depicts Dr. Hale later in life as if he were strolling through the garden. The life-size statue stands atop a granite base. Around the base is a circular array of cobblestones. A stone ring around the memorial bears an inscription describing Dr. Hale as a patriot, man of letters, prophet of peace and a preacher of the Gospel. The inscription also contains the Lend a Hand Society philosophy: “Look up and not down. Look forward and not back. Look out and not in. Lend a hand.”

The sculpture is located near the Charles Street entrance to the Boston Public Garden.

After several interim ministries, Hale became the pastor of the Unitarian Church in Worcester, MA. There he advocated the cause of refugee relief, Irish immigration, and against the expansion of slavery. In 1856, he became the pastor of the Second Congregational Church in Boston where he remained for 43 years. Hale became an ardent supporter for the abolition of slavery.

For five years Hale published a magazine called called Old and New. Among its first stories was one by Hale, titled Ten Times One is Ten, which tells the story of mourners meeting at the funeral of a friend and each relating how the man had changed their lives. They decide to form a club in his memory and at story’s end the club has grown to include the entire population of the world.

The idea caught on. By 1870, fifty Ten Times One Clubs had been formed. The Methodist Sunday Schools took up the idea and called their clubs for children, Look Up Legions. Eventually the clubs came to be known as Lend a Hand Clubs and by 1886, Edward Hale was editing a new monthly journal, Lend A Hand: A Record of Progress, which reported the activities of the clubs and also included articles on social issues of the day, such as Indian Rights. The clubs no longer exist, although there is a foundation of that name still in Boston.

Share This